Defending Accusations Of All Manner Of Federal Crimes
Federal crimes are prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in U.S. District Courts in Atlanta, around Georgia and throughout the country. The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) is the investigative arm of the federal government and the agency responsible for federal criminal investigations resulting in criminal prosecutions in U.S. District Courts. When the force and resources of the federal government are focused on you, you need an aggressive and experienced federal criminal defense attorney on your side. Hirsch Criminal Defense, based in Atlanta, can provide you with representation to defend yourself in complex, high-stakes investigations and court cases in DeKalb, Fulton, Cobb, Cherokee or Gwinnett counties.
How Do You Know If You’re Being Prosecuted By The Feds?
You are being investigated and potentially prosecuted by the federal government if you are being investigated by the FBI instead of your local police agencies. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), the U.S. Marshalls Service, the U.S. Secret Service and the Criminal Investigations Division of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are examples of other federal agencies that may be targeting you for federal prosecution.
Federal law enforcement agencies will conduct investigations and prosecutions if criminal allegations involve one or more of the following:
- The victim of the alleged crime is a federal official.
- The alleged crime took place on a military base or in a national park.
- The alleged crime took place across state lines. Crimes involving kidnapping or Internet child pornography are examples of crimes occurring across state lines.
- The alleged criminal activity involves “interstate commerce”. Examples of crimes involving interstate commerce are using the USPS or an express mail service to send contraband or counterfeit items across state lines.
What Types Of Crimes Are Prosecuted At The Federal Level?
Generally speaking, there are seven major categories of federal crimes:
- Fraud and theft, also known as white collar crimes
- Property crimes involving theft of property from the government by fraud, embezzlement, counterfeiting and bribery
- Sex offenses where conduct travels over state lines. Criminal sexual offenses over state lines can be proven by something as simple as an email.
- Child pornography, most often involving images of children being trafficked, sold, distributed or possessed via the internet. The FBI uses expert agents and sophisticated software and tools to track images to your computer.
- Firearms offenses, the most common being felons in possession of a firearm, possessing a firearm during a drug trafficking offense, possession of an unregistered or illegal firearm
- Crimes against a person such as kidnapping, murder, bank robbery when those crimes involve conduct across state lines, occur on federal property or involve federal officials
- Drug offenses when those offenses allege conduct through mail services or across state lines
What Actions Should You Take If An FBI Agent Contacts You?
Federal prosecutions often rely on highly technical and complicated evidence. If you have been contacted by an FBI agent, you need an Atlanta federal criminal defense attorney on your side immediately. If you are the target of a federal investigation and the resources and powers of the federal government are focused on you, contact attorney Matt Hirsch. You have a better chance of avoiding arrest and a lengthy federal criminal prosecution when a skilled attorney can intervene on your behalf early in a federal investigation.
Call 404-919-7096 For A Consultation
It can be frightening and overwhelming to be the target of a federal investigation or to be arrested for a federal crime. Do not panic. Contact the firm for a consultation at 404-919-7096.